If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.
- Nelson Mandela, Barack Obama, Jennifer Laurence, Neil Patrick Harris, Mayim Bialik – you’d like to know more about those native speakers?
- William Shakespeare, Suzanne Collins, Charles Dickens, J.K. Rowling – authors that sound familiar to you?
- Smartphone, Chips, Comic, Ticket, Skateboard, Outdoor – German? English? Where do the words come from?
- Sidney, New York City, London, Dublin – world cities you’d like to explore?
- Adele, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Michael Jackson – you’d like to understand their songs?
- Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Scotland – countries you’d like to know more about?
Find all the answers in our English lessons.
welcome to the English Department at the GHO!
English is the most-spoken language on our planet – 1,500 million people worldwide speak English, of whom 375 million are native speakers. At all German secondary schools English is a compulsory subject – that means that you have to attend English classes at school. And more and more primary schools offer English as subject.
At the GHO English is taught from classes 5 to 12, it follows you like a shadow until the Abitur - only then you can finally decide if you want to take a written Abitur exam in English or not. Generally, English is provided as Profilfach or Kernfach in sixth form. For further legal, formal, and conceptual information concerning the subject English in Schleswig-Holstein in general and at the GHO in particular feel free to browse our Schulinternes Fachcurriculum and the Fachanforderungen Englisch.
So what do you need English for? As world language it is essential in the world of business and indispensable for the global economy. Trading, business relations, and the sale of products on international markets are unthinkable without English.
In our technology-based world dependent on media, computers, and constant modernisation and innovation we need a certain vocabulary to understand electronic devices, manuals, and computer programmes.
Social media allow fast and direct communication with people from all corners of the world – and most of them speak English. English makes it possible for you to stay in contact with friends from abroad or with people you met during your last trip to Great Britain.
Last but not least English helps you to understand songs and to watch Hollywood movies or your favourite TV serials in the original version.
We do our very best to teach you the English language and to help you when you have problems. In eight school years you learn the main part of the English grammar, you extend your vocabulary, you meet people from all parts of the English-speaking world in textbooks and novels, and you find out about differences in culture and language within the Anglophone world.